...that my newest addition would be a son, from China. Well, let me back up a bit.
Yes, I knew that we'd adopt again. I really did. I just never stopped believing that we were meant to go back to China. I never stopped looking at lists, chasing down a dream of finding the right kiddo to match our family. I considered foster care again. I looked at other countries. Maybe our next child wasn't in China, but maybe Korea, Taiwan or Ethiopia. Only one person knew and He wasn't telling!
Fast forward to February 19th of this year. I got an email from Madison Adoption Associates. I know a few families that have used them (Hi Sharon!) and heard good things. So I checked the email out. They were offering some terrific grants for some of their kids. Cool, that always makes things easier. I went to their Yahoo group to check the other children who may have grant as well. There he was. Thomas. (If you know me, I totally believe in signs. Well, the 19th is my dad's birthday AND his name is Thomas! Sign, perhaps?) I wasn't looking for an older boy, I hadn't been really looking for a boy in general. But Thomas caught my eye. I checked out his file, nothing that stood out as a real issue for our family. Of course, I sent him to Wayne. I got the same answer to Thomas as I did for Ju. "He's a cute kid." That's Wayne code for, "Yes, I see what you're trying to do but I'm not going for it."
The amazing thing with adoption now is that there are soooo many more agencies that are advocating for specific kids or orphanages. Many have camps or programs that kids participate in so families get much, much more information about the child. We based Julia's adoption decision on a 8 page file and 5 pictures. Madison has videos and tons of pictures of Thomas along with having met him personally on more than one occasion. It makes "getting to know" him much easier.
I can't say there was this giant A-ha moment, but Wayne came home from New Jersey and asked what I wanted to do with this adoption stuff. I said you know how I feel. That was really it. We had some small signs financially that pointed us in the right direction. Wayne had to feel that it was the right kiddo at the right time. I've looked at hundreds of kids over the past 7 years. Many who I thought were meant for us. I was wrong. We were meant to wait that long for Thomas to make his way to us or for us to make our way to him.
This blog will be the place I update the most, post the most and write the most. I may end up making a Facebook page, but I'd like Thomas to have a blog like Julia does. I will write more about who Thomas is and where he's from in a later post. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment